Homemade Festive Goodies!
What says Christmas to me is the delicious treats that you can buy from the shops or even make yourself. Here are some of my favourite recipes and trust me once you try these, you will never go back to shop brought.
Another favourite treat of mine is Gingerbread men and thanks to an article on Pinterest I learnt an amazing christmas trick to make these men more christmas.
350g (12 oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
115g (4 oz) butter, cubed
175g (6 oz) soft light brown sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190c/Gas Mark 5. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Rub in the butter using your fingertip until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar using a wooden spoon. Beat the syrup into the egg then add to the flour mixture and stir in until it becomes a dough. You might need to use you hands to knead the dough until it becomes smooth and combined.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and roll until it is about 2cm thick. Using a gingerbread cutter cut out the gingerbread men and place on the lined baking trays. Make sure you leave plenty of space between men as they tend to grow in size in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 10-14 minutes until golden. Let them sit on a baking tray for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Let them cool complete before decorating.
Here is the fun part. If you want to add a more christmas feel to your gingerbread men. Turn them upside down so the legs become the antlers. Decorate the antlers and add some eyes to the base. Find some red smarties or icing and place it on what would have been the head and there you have it. You’ve made Rudolph the red nose reindeer. You can also decorate them the old fashioned way as well.
The final thing that makes Christmas more christmassy for me is a good old fashioned Hot Chocolate. During the year I am like everyone else and use the packet stuff but at Christmas I like to try and make a proper hot chocolate because its so simple to do.
1 bag of Chocolate Chips
1 glass of milk
Marshmallows (Big or small)
A small flake.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Keep an eye on it and it should turn out smooth. Once done place to one side.
- In one small pan pour the milk and put on a low heat. Warm the milk up enough but don’t let it bubble otherwise the hot chocolate will become lumpy.
- When the milk has reached hot pour in the melted chocolate and stir well.
- When the mixture is fully combined (make sure it’s not bubbling) remove from heat and pour into your favourite mug. Spray whipped cream onto and add a flake and marshmallows. Why not even grate some chocolate on the top.
Below is a cheat sheet to making different types of hot!